Interesting Teeth and Dentistry Facts That Will Surprise You
Your teeth and smile are some of the most appealing parts of your body. Nothing is more welcoming than a bright and clean smile. For over 37% of people, the first thing they notice about a person is their smile, which is why it is paramount to keep those teeth looking healthy. For your entertainment, here is our list of some other interesting teeth and dentistry facts that we found fascinating. Let us know which ones surprised you the most!
- Surprisingly, 25% of adults do not brush their teeth twice a day. Not brushing twice a day increases the risk of tooth decay by 33%
- In a lifetime, the average American spends approximately 38.5 total days just brushing their teeth. That’s over a month of your life!
- The hardest substance found in the human body is your tooth enamel.
- Tooth prints are like fingerprints as they are unique to each person.
- Here is another list you could check out of some more interesting teeth facts!
- Flossing is an essential part of oral hygiene. When you do not floss, you are missing over 40% of tooth surfaces, which is why your dentist always emphasizes flossing!
- Although flossing is essential, many people do not like doing it. A whopping 73% of Americans would go to the grocery store than floss their teeth.
- The first introduction of commercial floss was 1882 by Codman and Shurtleff, Inc., later acquired by Johnson and Johnson in 1965.
- Floss is also quite durable. A West Virginia inmate once used dental floss to braid a rope, which he used to scale a building and escape in 1992.
- In a lifetime, a person produces over 100,000 gallons of saliva. To put that into perspective, that is over 20 semi-trucks worth of saliva or 1.06 million red solo cups.
- One of the most common effects of poor dental hygiene is bad breath. Over 90% of bad breath originates in the mouth.
- There are over 700 different types of bacteria in your mouth alone.
- Those who drink three or more cups of soda per day are 62% more likely to suffer from tooth decay, tooth loss, and filling than others. Stay away from soft drinks!
- Right-handed people tend to chew food on the right side of their mouth, while left-handed people tend to chew their food on the left side of their mouth.
- Like your tooth prints and fingerprints, your tongue is also unique. No two people share the same tongue print.
- Your smile is a strong point of attraction. 61% of adults admit that they are attracted to somebody’s smile alone.
- The colour of your toothpaste apparently matters. More people prefer blue toothpaste over red toothpaste.
- A woman smiles, on average, 68 times per day. Meanwhile, a man smiles, on average, eight times per day.
- Like the facts listed above, here is a list of more dentistry facts you could check out!
Article originally appeared at: https://omahadentists.net/
Author: Today’s Dental